Monday, October 29, 2007

Groundhog Day?

If you have ever seen the movie "Groundhog Day," you know that Phil Connors, played by Bill Murray, becomes destined to relive a day in his life over and over and over again. As first Connors takes advantage of the situation, but eventually wants out.

If our Golden Gophers were perennial winners, I might feel more like Murray's character early in the movie. But I think it's accurate to say that most Gopher fans feel more like Phil Connors towards the end of the movie. Perpetually seeing the same results with no change in outcome we are desperate to get out of this monotony.

As I was driving away from the sports bar where I watched the Gophs take on Michigan on Saturday I started thinking to myself: "Crap, what am I going to write about THIS one?" It occurred to me that this one doesn't particularly sting any worse than the others.

Even going into the locker room at halftime down only 3 points, I was uneasy. The offense could not get ANYTHING going, and this was not going to bode well for the second half. Michigan has a good defense, but that didn't seem to be the issue on Saturday.

Weber was off, and he has been off for two weeks. Is he over-thinking things? Have the game plans that have been installed the last two weeks been more complicated? What is going on?

I really like Weber, I think he's got the tools and confidence to be a BIG TIME college quarterback. But he doesn't seem to be the free-wheeling youngster that we saw earlier this year. Maybe he's now so worried about turnovers that he can't "create" like he is used to?

I would be curious to see what the reader's opinions are...

No comments: