Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Getting to know Wisconsin Fans

It's Wisconsin week here in Minnesota, as our neighbors to the east will be invading our fine state this weekend for two rivalry games- the important one on Saturday, and some other game on Monday night that apparently is a pretty big deal too. Hopefully Sconnie fans won't be outnumbering Minnesota fans at both venues as they sometimes have, especially Saturday at The Bank. Yet even if there won't be many tickets available for the games, you know it's not going to stop them from coming to the Land of 10,000 Lakes to complain about our beer, and the lack of brats and cheese.

As someone who is now married to a Wisconsinite, I thought that in the spirit of being neighborly I'd give you some background information on the people from Wisconsin so you can spot them easily and have something to talk about should you run into one- or thousands- this weekend.

Fun Facts About the State of Wisconsin:
Official Facts:

Founded: 1848

State Capital: Madison

State Song: On Wisconsin!

State Dance: Polka (I'm not even joking)

State Animal: Badger

State Domesticated Animal: Dairy Cow (again, not joking)

State Bird: Robin

State Drink: Milk (but only if you've run out of beer)


And Some Unofficial Facts:

State Colors: Green and Yellow, Red and White, or Blaze Orange. You choose.

Major Food Groups: Beer, Brats, and Cheese

State Instrument: Accordion

State Song: Roll Out the Barrell

State Dress Code: Cheesehead, Lederhosen, or both. Or this, this, or this.

State Formal Dress Code: TUCKED IN flannel shirt, blue jeans, and your cleanest Packer, Badger, or NASCAR hat

State Vehicle: Anything made by John Deere. Or this.

State Legal Drinking Age: There's a legal drinking age?

State Beer: All of them

Favorite Adult Beverage: Beer

Favorite Children's Beverage: Light beer (or milk if you're out of light beer)

Old Favorite Saying for Women: Marry me Brett!!

Old Favorite Saying for Men: Marry me Brett!!

New Favorite Saying: We Hate Brett!! (But he still looks so good in Wranglers! We need you. Hell, I need you. I'm a mess without you. I miss you so damn much. I miss being with you, I miss being near you. I miss your laugh. I miss your scent; I miss your musk. When this all gets sorted out, I think you and me should get an apartment together.)

Old Favorite Saying of my Wife: Marry me Brett!!

New Favorite Saying of my Wife: I hate Favre! He means nothing to me! We won our Superbowl IN SPITE OF HIM!! (Honest to God, those words have actually come out of her mouth)

State Bird: The middle finger if you bring up the names "Bret(t)", "Favre" or "Bielma" to a Wisconsinite.

Friday Night Activity: Fish fry

Saturday Activity: Consume three major food groups, watch the Badgers while consuming three major food groups, The Fifth Quarter, resume consumption of three major food groups.

Sunday Activity: Consume three major food groups, go to church, resume consumption of three major food groups, watch the Packers while consuming three major food groups, cry when you see highlights of Favre with another team, resume consuming three major food groups.

Favorite Winter Activity After Football Season: Whatever this guy is doing.

Favorite Name(s): Vince, Bart, Bucky, Barry, Prince, Aaron (a very new addition)

Least Favorite Name: Brett or Bret. Anyway you want to spell it.

Best Idea: Sausage Race

Worst Idea: Bernie Brewer NOT sliding into a mug of beer (Really? We're worried about what little Wisconsin children will think if they see Bernie the BEER BREWER sliding into a mug of beer after a home run?!? Isn't that what children in Wisconsin grow up dreaming about? We know their parents do!)


So there you have it. Hopefully this will help you get to know your fellow Wisconsinite. If I've missed any unofficial facts about Wisconsin, please add them in the comments section.

No comments: